After being involved in an intense, unusual or traumatic event, loss of a loved one, job or property or an injury or serious threat you may experience reactions that are out of the ordinary for you.
- The event may create a stress response which can result in changes in your usual physical or emotional reactions.
- The following reactions are not uncommon. These reactions are NORMAL however.
- Often the reactions appear immediately after the event but they may appear hours, days or even weeks later after a horrible event.
- Some people may not be affected physically or emotionally at all – and this too is quite normal
- Seeking help does not imply craziness or weakness.
- Sometimes the particular traumatic event was just too powerful to manage alone.
Download the after-intense-stress fact sheet.
There are many people who can support you locally – contact us or a psychologist or social worker or your local community mental health team or GP for confidential support.
Call us on 5358 7400